WATCH LIVE CRICKET HERE

Fans abuse Bangladesh captain for T20 exit

Monday, June 15, 2009

Bangladesh cricket captain Mohammad Ashraful was harangued by protesting fans when he returned home after his team crashed out of the World Twenty20 tournament in the first round.
About a dozen furious supporters rallied at Dhaka airport, carrying placards and chanting "resign, resign" at Ashraful, who apologised for Bangladesh's failure.
Ashraful flew back from England late Saturday after his side lost to India and lowly Ireland in their two first-round matches.
"We really played badly against Ireland. On behalf of my team, I am sorry to the nation," he told reporters.
"I can understand that the fans are very much disappointed and angry after our defeat to Ireland. Even my family is upset with our performance. I apologise for the poor show."
Bangladesh needed a victory against Ireland in their second match at Nottingham on June 8 but they lost by six wickets.
The 24-year-old batsman said he would not quit as captain despite making only 11 and 14 runs in the two matches.
"The board has given me this job and it's up to them whether they will let me continue or not," Ashraful said. "But I want to continue as captain as I am enjoying the role and trying my best."
The team's Australian coach, Jamie Siddons, criticised Bangladeshi players for refusing to listen to his guidance and for "ridiculous" batting in the tournament.

Comments

No response to “Fans abuse Bangladesh captain for T20 exit”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment