WATCH LIVE CRICKET HERE

Ajmal eyes Pakistan victory in World Twenty20

Tuesday, June 2, 2009


Pakistani off-spinner Saeed Ajmal said Monday his focus would be his team's bid for victory in next month's World Twenty20 after he was cleared of a suspect bowling action.
The International Cricket Council's Australian biomechanic expert on Sunday cleared a contentious delivery by the 31-year-old during a one-day international against Australia in Dubai last month.
The wily bowler had been named in Pakistan's 15-man squad for the World Twenty20, taking place in England next month.
Ajmal, who made his debut last year, has already taken 10 wickets in eight one-day internationals, while he managed one wicket in the only Twenty20 he played against Australia in Dubai earlier this month.
Ajmal's action while delivering a "doosra" -- a delivery equivalent of leg-spinner's googly -- was questioned by umpires in the second one-day match with Australia.
Ajmal said that the ICC decision removed a huge burden.
"I was carrying a 50-kilo bag on my head and Sunday's decision has allowed me to throw that bag off my head," Ajmal told AFP. "I now feel that my punishment is over and I am relieved and pleased."
The ICC, however, warned "whenever Ajmal bowls in a match in the future, his action will be under the scrutiny of the match officials".
"Now I am relieved and more focused and will do my best to take more and more wickets for my country," Ajmal said. "To help Pakistan clinch the World Twenty20 title is the first aim and the next is to get more and more wickets."
Pakistan coach Intikhab Alam said he was always confident about Ajmal.
"I am pleased for Ajmal," said Alam, who was a leg-spinner in his playing days. "From the word go I was confident that his action will get all clear and now I hope that he performs to the best of his abilities."
Pakistan fly out to England on May 30. They are placed in Group B of the 12-team competition along with hosts England and the Netherlands.

Comments

No response to “Ajmal eyes Pakistan victory in World Twenty20”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment